Sunday, February 3, 2008

First attempts at vegetarian sushi


I bought some EDEN brand toasted nori sheets last week, and decided to attempt to make vegetarian sushi.

I bought President's Choice sticky rice, prepared according to the package, added fresh avocado strips and porcini mushrooms (reconstituted dried), SPIKE seasoning and San-J tamari sauce. I even bought the little bamboo mat to roll things up (having quickly glanced at the sushi makers in our local grocery store once).

The ingredients were great, but my execution was pretty awful. The first rolls were lumpy, and squished out of shape when cut. They tasted good, though (except I skimped on the avocado & mushrooms so it was largely rice and tamari).

By the time I had rolled the fourth sheet, I was getting better. Still, I decided I had better watch the sushi-makers at the grocery store next time I go.

Then I found this instruction page on Eden Foods' website. I think I'll give it another shot!