Friday, June 3, 2011

Quinoa with currants, dill & zucchini

This is my all-time favourite quinoa dish (until another comes along!). You can serve it warm or cold. This recipe makes enough for 4 main servings or 6 side servings. We served it over salad greens. As a main dish, we didn't need anything else. We had two servings the first day, and served it cold the second day, still great!

It's a quirky mix of green onions, quinoa, currants, dill, zucchini, lemon, and sesame seeds, with optional feta cheese on top as a garnish.

I made an oops making this (I often goof when reading a recipe) - the recipe calls for grated zucchini done on a box grater. Well, I looked at our mandoline, and it was shaped like a box, so I sliced the zucchini. Then when I went back to the recipe, I saw it called for grated zucchini, so I quickly chopped them up into matchsticks, and I liked that a lot better than the grated zucchini, although it takes more time. So suit yourself - grated or matchstick.

Toasting your own sesame seeds is way better but requires you to pay close attention. I put them in a flat non-stick pan and turned up the heat. You have to watch them carefully! Spread them around and mix them up periodically. When the individual seeds start to get a bit smaller and start to turn a bit brown, they should be ready - don't burn them!

We served it with grated feta cheese (I cheated and bought a bag of grated feta), just a bit sprinkled on top adds a nice contrast in taste.
We also used only 1 zucchini, rather than 2.

Here's a link to the full recipe:
Quinoa with Currants, Dill & Zucchini recipe (101cookbooks.com)