Saturday, June 4, 2011

Stewed Rhubarb

I remember my mom making stewed rhubarb from homegrown rhubarb when we were kids. I have always liked tart fruit - I used to climb the pear tree in our backyard to get a green pear, I would only eat one bite but it was just to my taste! So rhubarb is a favourite of mine.

We were at the farmers' market in town today, and I bought what was probably the last of the season's local rhubarb.

When I did a silent retreat recently at a convent in Toronto, the nuns served stewed rhubarb at breakfast and I put it on top of my oatmeal and mixed in it - it was yummy!

My mom used to serve this over ice cream, but I like it on its own too.

Here's the recipe:
6 cups (1.5 L) cut up rhubarb
1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
2 TB (25 ml) water

We didn't have any granulated sugar at home, I had some brown sugar that was rock solid, but we did have organic sucanat, so I used that.

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer, stirring periodically, for about 15 minutes or until the rhubarb is slightly thickened and stringy. Let cool.

This should keep for about 5 days in the fridge in a tightly sealed container. I don't expect it to last that long!